Our garden has taken off and is coming to fruition! We are successful gardening virgins, yipee! We have picked several savory cucumbers and small tomatoes (though neither Jim or I like tomatoes, but Bryden LOVES them...she may hate them after this summer! Ha! I am going to try my hand at making homemade spaghetti sauce and salsa with most of our larger tomatoes...and the neighbors will be getting lots of freebies!). We have picked lots of white and purple beans and are going to plant more purple beans, we really like them (they taste like green beans). We have two watermelons started and two budding. Three green peppers are in the works and lots of basil! Our climbers are growing out of control (cucs, watermelons and canteloupe) and I had to build a structure for them to climb (which I might add I am very proud of my handy work!). We are so stoked from our success that we are going to add on in the fall and try some broccoli, then add more fruits and veggies next year! We want to do corn and try strawberries! There is only one tomato that is about ready in the pics, we had already picked them today. Enjoy the pics!

This is our garden two months ago...

And this is it now! Whoa, I know!

Large tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes (Bryden's favorite! She picks them off the vine and eats them right away. What she doesn't eat right then, we leave on the counter, and by the end of the day, they are gone!)

Our only sunflower that took...the head is finally starting to come out! It measures about 6 feet tall!

Green Peppers...these take forever to grow!

White Beans

Large and small tomatoes - the large will hopefully be red in about a week, and the small will be ready in a few more days, but they are constantly growing and making more

Cucumber - once these get started, they grow pretty quick. We have two kind, long, narrower ones (English Cucs at the grocery I think) and then the regular kind you usually see. They will be like 5 inches one day, and the next will be 8 inches and ready to eat...we love to snack on these throughout the day.

The start of a watermelon

And a pic of all the climbers taking over
2 comments:
"Mary,Mary quite contrary. How does your garden grow?" Very good, I'd say. What a nice legacy and healthy eating habits you're giving to your kids. Love you guys, Mom
Wish my thumbs were that green!!!
Post a Comment